Wednesday, May 25, 2011

109-year-old Haifa man gets "new" nose

This article is about a Haifa resident, Meir Korner, nearly at record age, who received reconstructive surgery. The 109-year-old developed skin cancer on one side of his nose. Plastic surgeons at Rambam Medical Center were able to create a "new" nose from skin off his forehead. Korner has followed almost every good example to stay healthy as you grow older, besides not exposing yourself to too much sunlight. A few months ago, Korner noticed somewhat of a skin infection on his nose, and went in to the doctor. They then removed a malignant skin tumor on his nose in early May. The procedure of removing a portion of skin from his forehead, and re-sewing it also was a bonus for Korner; it stretched out the wrinkles, actually making him look younger. Doctors reported that the whole operation for Korner turned out really well, although it was not such a simple one. Yitzhak Ramon, the practicing surgeon, stated that only after a few days did Korner's nose return to normalcy, just like before the cancer. Korner, who was born in 1901, stated that he could not wait to go swimming in the Mediterranean after his nose completely healed. “I feel good. I give credit to the Rambam doctors and to the fact that I do things I love. In my conversations with God, He promised me I would have many more years on this earth. The moment I can go to the beach, I will, but with protection against the sun.” says Korner. 


First of all, I can't believe this man is 109! I couldn't imagine living another 93 years! This story is just one of those pure happy stories; no sadness, only besides the fact he had a malignant skin tumor, but even that turned out okay. If I ever live to be that old, I want to be just like him. He's always up and about, and staying healthy... well as healthy as a 109-year-old can be! I was glad to find an article like this where is no violence or disgusting incidences.
 
http://www.jpost.com/Health/Article.aspx?id=222099

No comments:

Post a Comment